photography : design : life

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Paris




I am trying to figure out what direction I want my blog to go. Random thoughts are always sprouting up in my head, so I am sure there will be a lot of that on here. For right now though, I have decided to dedicate each week to something that I love. This week, its PARIS.


Paris has been my dream for as long as I can remember. After a long time trying to figure out where to go for our honeymoon, we finally decided on Paris. Honeymoons only happen once, and why not go to the place that I have been dreaming about for years? We figured we already went to Mexico, and we can go to any beach destination whenever we want. Paris just seemed more special....after all, it is the most romantic city in the world!

I want to log every detail, no matter how big or small. I want to share how I felt at different moments and how the city has affected me. This was probably the most important trip I have taken, and I never want to forget anything. A month has past since we were there, and I still feel like it was a dream. It was just so strange how being there felt so right. There was no culture shock or disbelief. We walked the streets like we have been there before. We went into cafes and shops already knowing what to order. It was surreal....

The best part of traveling somewhere new is the moment when you first arrive. The sights, the sounds, the people...it makes for memories that will never go away. We arrived at Charles de Gaulle airport after about a 7 hour flight. Tired, but excited, we made our way through the airport to grab our bags and start our journey/honeymoon. We decided to hop on the bus to take us into town and then the Metro to our hotel. I was consciously trying to take in everything, not to forget anything I saw. The bus drove through farmland and finally into the city. I watched as thousands of apartment buildings stood in the distance. I was anxiously awaiting my first sighting of the Eiffel Tower. I had my face pressed to the window watching the Parisians riding their bikes and walking their little dogs. I squealed at the sight of flower shops and fruit markets on almost every street corner. The flower boxes full of red geraniums on each window sill and admiring how people can actually park their Citroen's and Peugeot's in spots along the streets that were no bigger than 4 ft long.

We grabbed our luggage and dragged it off the bus. Although jet-lagged, I remember stopping for a second and looking up to the Opera house. Covered in gold, it was sparkling in the overcast glow that seems to fully define the daylight in Paris. So there we were, honeymooners on the streets of Paris. It didn't fully click that we were 4,000 miles away from home in the most beautiful city in the world.

( photos were taken when we first arrived in our hotel room; this was our view from our balcony)

No comments:

Post a Comment